Friday, May 17, 2013

How Are Your Hormones?


Should Men Have HRT?

Women Have HRT

Women have, for several years now, been able to have hormone replacement therapy during their menopause. For some women this is essential as their hormones are changed dramatically causing them to have a variety of medical problems. I believe that some of these problems are psychotic. I have not been able to observe women who have had these troubles as I am not any kind of a doctor, further I would not pronounce on any opinions concerning medical matters.

What Are Hormones

Hormones are chemicals that are released by cells in the body that affect other cells. Endocrine hormones, that is hormones that are secreted into the blood stream inside of your body. In men the ones that glands control the hormones in the male are the thyroid, tests, and the pituitary gland that is in the brain. When these hormones weaken ,or are absent, in the body various debilitating problems are experienced.

Hormone Deficiency.

So why am I writing this article? Because due to having the experience of being short of hormones, I can see others who are in the same position, except that they are elderly, whereas my deficiency was due to illness. My experience is about the lack of hormones in the male and I got this experience first hand having been short of a few hormones to say the least.

Symptoms

For years I felt myself changing, I went through a period where I had hot flushes, and I mean hot, It was also noticeable to my colleagues at work who remarked on how red I looked. I found that I was losing energy, my memory, and body temperature was changing, so much so that I always felt cold. I found it difficult to stay awake and would go to sleep in a restaurant. Sometimes I would have to stop, on the drive home as I was getting too tired.

Physical Changes

Eventually I became so bad that I could do little at work and would fill in the day talking to someone. My dress became scruffy; I did not so much care of myself as I would normally have done. But I had no body odour to speak off. I was obviously ill but my doctor, at that time, failed to give me the treatment that I needed. Why this was I do not know. Then my body undertook noticeable changes like loss of pubic hair and there were enlargements in certain areas of my body. I have been bald since the age of eighteen but hairs started to grow on my head.

The Problem.

Of course there was something radically wrong with me and a new doctor at my GP`s practise recognised that I had a tumour on my pituitary gland called pituitary adenoma. So eventually I got the treatment that I needed and, that was hormone replacement therapy. Now I can recognise that other males of advanced age have similar symptoms. The way that they walk, the lack of energy, and the way that they are always cold enough to wear coats, when it's boiling hot in the summer, well its boiling hot for me. There is also a lack of vitality where you do nothing because you think that you are now too old to manage. These symptoms are a torment in themselves as one accepts that you are getting old. I thought the same thing before I was Sixty.

Can HRT Help?

Would these symptoms be reduced by hormone replacement therapy and would these people have a new lease of life when they need it most. They know they are feeling frail and loose the confidence to go out of the house. Why should the elderly be so typical of their stereotypes when perhaps it may not be necessary? Another argument to favour HRT is that the elderly are a bigger burden on the health services because they become ill more often. In my experience this not true and since I have been on HRT I rarely go to the doctors and I am seventy seven.

Available Therapies.

There are therapies that are available to men but there is not much publicity on the subject. However clinical trials have been completed and, papers concerning the success of these trials have been published. There seems to be no obvious reason why HRT for men should be withheld, and there seems to many advantages in providing HRT for men.

Author Tom Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment